News Articles

Amherst

  • The Local Newspaper — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, May 8, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – The local newspaper)
  • Amherst’s first “court house” –  (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, January 30, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Amherst’s first “court house”)
  • Cumberland Bar in years of old –  (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, January 30, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Cumberland Bar in years of old)
  • Down one side of Victoria St. East –  (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July, 1992, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Down one side of Victoria St. East)

Conn Mills

Cumberland County

Cumberland Township

Fenwick

Fort Lawrence

  • Unique architecture found in Fort Lawrence – (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 9, 1994, Page 33 – Cumberland’s Built Heritage, by Laurie A. Glenn – Unique architecture found in Fort Lawrence)
  • Plaque honours heritage home – (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 13, 1996, – Cumberland’s Built Heritage, by Nelson Bezanson – Plaque honours heritage home)

Fraserville

  • Fraserville Church celebrates birthday – Fraserville Union Church — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, August 13, 1994, – Fraserville Church celebrates birthday – Fraserville Union Church)

Joggins

Little River

Lower Cove

  • Former site of booming quarry — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, August 20, 1994, Page 30 – Cumberland’s Built Heritage, compiled by Laurie A. Glenn – Former site of booming quarry)

Maccan

Minudie

  • A story of historical interest in county — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, January 7, 1989, Page Three – A Touch of Cumberland History – A story of historical interest in county)
  • King Seaman School Museum — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, August 2, 1997, – Cumberland County’s Built Heritage – King Seaman School Museum)

Nova Scotia

  • Nova Scotia place names  — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, February 27, 1993 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Nova Scotia place names)

Oxford

Parrsboro

  • Parrsboro reaches civic jubilee — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 24, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Parrsboro reaches civic jubilee)
  • Parrsboro reaches civic jubilee  — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 31, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Parrsboro reaches civic jubilee)

Port Greville

Pugwash

  • The early history of Pugwash — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, February 6, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – The early history of Pugwash)
    (Addendum – Source: The Citizen, Saturday, May 10, 1997, Page 16 – Pugwash 100 years ago – Editor’s note: A customer of Sandpiper Restaurant in Port Philip found their place mat to be filled with valuable information. Here is a story of Pugwash 100 years ago, as published in The Oxford Journal on April 12, 1923.)
  • The Early History of Pugwash and Vicinity — (Source: The Oxford Journal, Oxford, Nova Scotia, Thursday, Feb. 14, 1963) – [A similar article from The Oxford Journal, used as a place mat at Sandpiper Restaurant]
  • Some colorful days in Pugwash area — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, January 7, 1989, Page Three – A Touch of Cumberland History – Some colorful days in Pugwash area)

Ratchford River

River Hebert

River Philip

  • The early history of River Philip — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, February 20, 1993, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – The early history of River Philip)
  • River Philip heritage — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 23, 1994, Page 26 – Cumberland’s Built Heritage, compiled by Laurie A. Glenn – River Philip heritage)

Rose

  • Cumberland’s Built Heritage – Compiled by Laurie A. Glenn – Rose Union Church — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, June 11, 1994, – Cumberland’s Built Heritage – Compiled by Laurie A. Glenn – Rose Union Church)

Southampton

  • Southampton land grant — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 25, 1992, Page 3 – A Touch of Cumberland History – Southampton land grant)

Springhill

Thomson

Tidnish

  • Foundation laid July 13, 1892 – Church of the Good Shepherd, Tidnish Crossroads — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, July 16, 1994, Page 33 – Cumberland’s Built Heritage, by Laurie A. Glenn – Foundation laid July 13, 1892 – Church of the Good Shepherd, Tidnish Crossroads)
  • Chignecto Ship Railway – Part 1 – (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, October 11, 1986, Page Three – A Touch of Cumberland History – Chignecto Ship Railway)
  • Chignecto Ship Railway – Part 2 — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, October 18, 1986, Page Three – A Touch of Cumberland History – Chignecto Ship Railway – [cont.])
  • Chignecto Ship Railway – Part 3 — (Source: The Citizen, Saturday, October 25, 1986, Page Three – A Touch of Cumberland History – Chignecto Ship Railway – [cont.])

Wallace Bay

Wentworth