PURPOSE: To provide a scholarship to one (1) deserving Cumberland County, NS high school graduate interested in or intending to pursue a Maritime or Acadian history course of study in a Maritime university.
AWARD COMPONENTS: One (1) $500 scholarship and individual certificate awarded to one (1) student selected by the Cumberland County Genealogical Society’s Scholarship Committee.
- Applicant must be a Cumberland County, Nova Scotia resident.
- Applicant must be graduating high school in the year of the award.
- Applicant must be a full-time Maritime university student in the coming academic year with an interest or intent to pursue a Maritime or Acadian history course of study in an accredited Maritime university.
- Applicant must demonstrate scholarship — in the complete sense — consistent with capacity and circumstances.
APPLICATION PROCESS: (APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT)
- Completed application form (handwritten and/or incomplete applications will not be processed). Click here to download the application in Microsoft Word format (.doc).
- Letter of application addressed to the Scholarship Committee. The letter should contain a brief explanation of career goals and biographical (background) information.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from the student’s high school teacher, guidance counselor administrator, or former employer.
- A complete high school transcript with cumulative grade point averages and a class standing/rank.
- A minimum 500 word essay on one of the following three topics:
- History of your Cumberland County, Nova Scotia community
- Biographical sketch of your family’s ancestry in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia
- Timeline of historical events from 1760-1800 in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia
Deadline for application is May 31, 2016. Applications postmarked after this date will not be considered.
Submit application package to:
Cumberland County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1071
Amherst, NS B4H 4E2
*Should any of the chosen recipients of the scholarship fail to attend an accredited college or university the following fall term, then the applicant who was judged as an alternate will receive the award if he or she has enrolled in an accredited college or university with an interest or intent of enrolling in a history course of study (confirmation of college or university enrollment will be requested prior to funding the award).